Shauni Cosmetics - 04/14/20
How to Build a Skin Care Routine:
What is your skin-care routine like these days? You may or may not have one, and that's ok! This is for all of you beauty queens who want to add new products to their daily routine or learn how to beneficially do their skin care.
Getting to know your skin:
What's your Skin like? Are you feeling dry AF or oily these days? Or maybe the best of both worlds. Knowing your skin type & concerns will help you choose what types of products you should be using. Get to know your skin, and see which types of concerns you may want to focus on and build a routine around it.
1. Oily Skin
Oily Skin is described as "acne-prone" skin with visibly open pores, a shiny complexion and pimples. People with oily skin may see shine throughout the day or feel like their makeup easily slips off.
Main Concerns: Excessive Oil, Dehydrated, Pores, Acne
2. Dry Skin
Dry Skin is skin that simply feels "dry" & "tight". Dryer skin types often deal with "cracking", "itching", "scaling" or "flaking". Dry skin is mostly found on the face, hands, arms and legs. Dryness can be caused from dry weather conditions, certain chemicals or a skin condition. (dermatitis)
Main Concerns: Dryness, Dullness
3. Combination Skin
Combination skin is the best of both worlds! (Or not) People with Combination Skin often deal with both oiliness & dryness. People can also be normal and slightly dry, or normal and slightly oily.
Main Concerns: Dryness, Dullness, Dehydrated, Oil
4. Normal Skin
If you have normal skin, lucky you! Although, if you want to keep having normal skin you are going to have to keep maitaining it. People with Normal Skin types may deal with the occasional dryness, pimples, oil.
Main Concerns: Slight Dryness, Oil, Pimples, Pores
What are your skin concerns?
No matter how many compliments we get on our skin, we feel like there's something we want to fix. We should all love the skin we are in, knowing your concerns can really help with knowing which products to use.
Goals: Purifying, Calming, Hydrating, Controlling Oil
Zits, huge pores, annoying acnethat we want to pick at, we all deal with these concerns at some point. Acne and Blemishes are caused by pores becoming blocked with oil, dead skin or bacteria. Common factors to breakouts are stress, hormonal imbalance and diet.
1. Salicylic Acid: This ingredient is a powerful BHA, commonly used to help treat Acne. It works as a liquid exfoliant that will prevent excess oil from clogging pores. Salicylic Acid dissolves oil buildup and will sooth the skin to reduce irritation.
2. Charcoal/Clay: These ingredients are often found in cleansers & masks. These ingredients attract and absorb any dirt or oil existing on the skin, which allows for a deep cleanse.
3. Tea Tree Oil: This natural ingredient has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to sooth and purify the skin.
*High levels of Tea-Tree oil can be too harsh for those with sensitive skin.
Squalane + Tea Tree Cleanser
Supermud Charcoal Mask
Vinopure Salicylic Acid Toner
Goals: Firming, Brightening & Hydrating
It's never too early to use anti-aging products! Fine-Lines (Wrinkles) are caused by Sun damage, Smoking, Dehydration, Etc. Forming wrinkles is a natural part of the aging process, as you get older your skin starts to lose elasticity, become drier and thinner. These ingredients can be effective, although Botox and other surgical options will definitely give you faster results.
1. Retinoids: Retinoids such as "retinol" or "retinoic acid" will help the skin repair any sun-damage and reduce fine lines & wrinkles.
2. Peptides: Peptides are molecules naturally in living organisms. Certain peptides will help stimulate collagen production in the skin, this ingredient will help with improving skin's texture and lines.
3. Vitamin C: This potent antixoidant will protect your skin from any free radicals that break down skin cells and cause wrinkles. Vitamin C is known for brightening, protecting the skin from the sun and improving fine-lines & wrinkles.
Drunk Elephant Shop
Barrier + Peptide Lotion
Peter Thomas RothShop
Potent-C Power Serum
Goal: Brightening + Hydration
No matter your Skin Type, skin can often feel dry or dull, both concerns are a result of excess dead skin cells that build up on the surface of the skin. Damaged cells, Dryness and slow cellular turnover is what generally causes dullness.
1. Lactic Acid: This ingredient is an AHA and a true multi-tasker. It helps with killing bacteria, acne, holding moisture and diminishing wrinkles. This powerful ingredient works really hard to improve dullness in the skin.
2. Vitamin C: Vitamin C is the answer to all our problems! Since it's a great antioxidant it'll effectively improve brightening the skin and existing dark spots. You'll notice most products for dullness all have Vitamin C properties in their ingredients list. It's highly effective!
3. Hyaluronic Acid: This well-known ingredient is used in many skin care products such as creams and serums. Hyaluronic Acid will help with moisturizing, plumping and softening the skin.
Fun Fact: Hyaluronic acid is a substance that occurs naturally in the skin & is used in injectable dermal fillers (Lip Injections) to add volume to your face & lips as well as plumping wrinkles
Good Genes Lactic Acid Treatment
Violet-C Brightening Serum
Rose Face Cream
Figuring out your Routine
Now that you have a bit more insight on your skin and concerns. It's time to figure out how much time you have in the AM and PM. Depending on your schedule, if you work early mornings, focus your skin care before bed, and do a two minute cleanse and hydrate before work.
Think of skin-care, private time to yourself, that you can just relax and re-energize your skin.
Best Skin Care order:
This skin-care order should be the order you are following. You want to apply from thin consistency to thick, otherwise your products won't be as effective.
We put a star next to skin-care products that you don't necessarily need to incorporate into your routine, unless you have extra time or are trying to treat a specific concern.
Step 1: Cleanser
There is nothing more refreshing than cleansing your skin!
Cleansing restarts your skin, it will remove most of your impurties, dead skin cells and oils.
It's important to cleanse both AM & PM.
- Weekly/Daily Masks: Finding a great mask for your skin type/concern is really important. After cleansing you can add in a relaxing mask, then go on with step 2. Masks are mostly ok to do in AM. We would just recommend doing intense masks (peels) in PM.
-Exfoliating: You will want to either do a Mask or Exfoliate, instead of both. Exfoliating is a great way to remove any dead skin cells and dryness.It's best to do both Chemcial & Physical Exfoliators in PM.
Step 2: Toner
Toners are another great step after cleansing to double check that all oil and dirt are off your flawless face! Not only that but it will control acne and balance the PH levels of your skin.
There are multiple different types of toners, some that are more hydrating, purfying or oil controlling.
Step 3: Serums (Optional)
Serums feel so luxurious on the skin! Known by their thin consistency, you will want to add serums before any creams you use. Serums will act as a treatment to your specific concern, you can have a seperate AM and PM serum.
ie. Use a hydrating serum in AM and a Vitamin C serum in PM.
Step 4: Eye Treatment
Who else hates their dark circles? Or maybe their fine lines around the eyes?
Eye Creams are a life saver! There are eye creams for different concerns, so again knowing what you would like to focus on will help take you on your journey to defeating dark circles.
Just like serums, having a different AM & PM eye cream is a great option.
Step 5: Spot Treatment (Optional)
If it's that time of the month again... Sigh!
A spot treatment will help treat any specific blemishes or acne that is active or your face. Spot Treatments are usually very effective and fast. You don't want to use too much, a little goes a long way with these guys.
Use AM & PM for faster results.
Step 6: Day/Night Cream
If you are human you need to be wearing moisturizer!!! Whether you are hella oily, dry, tired or just sad, there's a formula for you!
Day Cream - During the day it's great to go for a moisturizer that will keep your skin hydrated all day without feeling too heavy or greasy. Ideally, choosing a day cream with SPF 30+ will save you an extra step.
Night Cream - After a long work day, not only are you tired, but so is your skin! Your skin works extra hard during the day so it's important using a night cream to repair when you are sleeping.
Step 7: Face Oil or Retinol (Optional)
Face Oil (Day) - Although we didn't put a star next to oil, it's definitely optional. Oils have different benefits, but overall will help with dryness, balancing the skin and calming. It will also prepare your skin for a flawless makeup application.
Retinol (Night) - Retinol is again optional, it is highly effective in repairing sun damage and reducing fine-lines in the skin. You will need to pair any retinol with an SPF.
Step 8: Sunscreen or Face Oil
Sunscreen (Day) - Wear your SPF! No matter how the weather is outside, sun is one of the main factors in aging. You need to finish your day time routine with a high enough SPF for your lifestyle.
Face Oil (Night) - Now for all your night owls, it's time to finish your skin off with oil! Still optional, oils have different benefits, but overall will help with dryness, balancing the skin and calming.The perfect way to finish your night time routine.